Once again, Shiver by the River Day is jam-packed with ways to amuse and abuse yourself. This year the day begins and ends in Elberta, with a 5K prize run starting at 9 am at the sunset lookout, and a chili cook-off and live music at the Shed that’ll burn on into Sunday morning.
1. Betsie Bay Frozen 5K. 7:30-8:30 am, registration at the American Legion Hall; 9 am run begins at Elberta Bluff sunset lookout.
2. 11 am “Snowshoe Arcadia Dunes in Pete’s Woods“ with Pete Rodriguez’s very own grandson Greg Kindig.
3. 11 am The Shivering begins! Gather downtown for the Shiver by the River Winter Parade (Main Street will be closed to all through traffic). Kids! Decorate your sled or build an ice shanty and decorate it to win prizes! Immediately following the parade: Kids’ games and activities including the popular Ski Ball Toss and Frozen Bowling, Kids’ Snow World, Antique Snowmobile Display, Horse-Drawn Carriage Rides and more will be set up at the Mineral Springs Park. Warming stations at Frankfort City Hall and the Frankfort–Elberta Area Chamber of Commerce until 3 pm; kids’ activities, hot cocoa and restrooms.
4. 12 noon. Bowling in front of Frankfort City Hall.
5. 1 pm–3 pm. Children’s Story Hour at the Betsie Bay Inn, in front of the fireplace.
6. 2 pm; 3 pm. Free movie! The Frankfort Garden Theater presents a very complimentary showing of Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown.
7. 4 pm–6 pm. Lasagna Dinner at Elberta United Methodist Church
8. 4 pm; 7 pm. Hugo plays at the Garden Theater. $8 adults; kids 12 and under $6
9. 4 pm ONWARD. Chili Cook-off and Live Bands at the Cabbage Shed, a fund-raiser for the Elberta Solstice Festival!